Tuesday, September 25, 2007

stock images

With the knowledge that I have violated the very purpose behind the watermarks on stock photos, I wanted to post some of the images that I found after doing a search for "mental illness in photography". I thought that it would be good to have specific examples of what people have published within this subject. I was able to locate some photos that had been done during the fifties for record keeping purposes and a few from other photographers but for the most part stock photos were all I was able to get real access to online. I was expecting to find the stereotypical striaght jacket shots but somewhat suprised by the photos I have posted here. There were over 130 photos I looked through and many of them showed guns with extremely violent gestures.
Others showed the same kind of violence but manifested though facial expressions or movement. I think it is important to note that obviously there is a large amount of people with the perception that mental illness and violence go hand in hand. It was interesting to see some of the images taken for the state hospitals during the fifties as well but did not really catch me off guard while the others did. When taking these shots out of context they seem cartoonish and bizarre but it becomes even more strange when you think that they were made with something from reality in mind.

1 comment:

Paul Thulin-Jimenez said...

http://www.howsyournews.com/

Here is the film I mentioned to you. Please check it out.