Tuesday, September 11, 2007
Decoys and Disruptions
I recently read an essay from the book "Decoys and Disruptions" written by Martha Rosler. The essay was titled Post-documentary, Post-photography? and dealt with social concerns and context within photojournalism. She touches on the concern of social awareness, subjectification of those being photographed, and other ethical dilemmas that have been brought to light because of documentary photography's nature. A large part of Rosler's discussion is aimed at the need for the awareness of the photographer within their particular subject matter. She goes into the importance of defining one's role and whether or not the photos are taken from the view of an outsider or as one who becomes part of the subject. Obviously, there are challenges with either strategy and neither can be deemed more valid than the other. There is a long tradition within photojournalism as the photographer being completely unbiased although this is not something that draws me towards the medium. For me, the power of photography is its ability to speak. While I would prefer it not be my own voice I realize that my influence is inevitable. She brings up the fact that there are several photographers who have completely immersed themselves within the communities they are shooting and even gave cameras to their subjects. This reference made me think back to an article I saw earlier in the year that had done this with children growing up in a drug infested city in South America. The series was fascinating to me and while this wasnt an idea that I originally had thought of, the concept has become increasingly interesting to me. I love examining the relationships between people and what better way than to see the manner in which they decide to view one another through the lens of a camera. I also have been in the process of starting an internship with Style Weekly and while it is not as much about thinking and creating new ideas to play around with the experience itself is already teaching me a lot. More so than ever, Im feeling that this semester is finally giving me the combination of hands-on work with mental training as well. I am feeling completely stimulated about many of the things going on around me and while there are moments of self-doubt and frustration, I am making some great discoveries along the way. In pro-practice tonight we had guests that are working assistants come in to speak and while it is daunting to hear about the real world it truly motivates me. The goal for this weekend is to just shoot as much as possible. Im trying to let things happen as they may and not be to rigid about expectations. Hopefully something will come of it.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



No comments:
Post a Comment