Sunday, March 2, 2008

Im not with the FBI

Today was fantastic. Beautiful weather and the kind of day where going out to shoot is hard not to do. I decided to head across 95 and go into some neighborhoods I didnt know about (possibly stupid but i went anyway). I saw a group of men sitting outside in a yard and mustered up the courage to approach them. I must say I have few recollections of a less warm reception but I did it anyway- character building or something lame like that. Either way after a few akward moments and me giving my little "im a student/im not a cop" speech one of the men agreed to talk with me and we walked down the street towards his home. I spoke with another younger guy who was doing yardwork and a family that I gave my number to in the hopes that they might actually call me. Why is it always the families that take my number and dont want photos? its free photos of your kids... dont people eat that shit up? anyway I continued on into Church Hill where i immediately found a couple and their three dogs who were willing to be photographed as well. From there I basically wandered the area looking for people on their porches or in the street. I must say today I made a lot of new friends and only got hit on a couple of times... hopefully the photos and audio are legit too. I got a lot more mixed reactions as well. I was starting to believe that most people were upset with Richmond for the way the city was handling renovation and its "facelift" but today proved me quite wrong. I met several residents that really enjoyed Richmond and were happy with the changes being made... especially in Church Hill. Remembering where all these homes are so I can give them copies of their photos will be an effort for a mind such as mine but I am feeling really good about where this series is heading and I'm going to try to shoot some more in the early evenings this week so I have a good amount before Spring Break. As I was leaving at one point a guy asked me what I do for fun and I told him "this". and i meant it.



oh and also at the same house they informed me that they had shot and killed an intruder the year before.
... yea.

No comments: