So after a long semester I have finally seen the movie War Photographer, a documentary following James Nachtwey, one of the most well known war photographers of all time. There have been many questions that this semester has made me face and it was fascinating to get insight into the mind of someone who has been travelling the world for the last 25 years watching every kind of destruction, misery, suffering, and injustice that could possibly exist. While I do not know the direction that photography will take me, i do know that the questions that are discussed within this film are essential to identifying why it is that photojournalists do what they do. It is not difficult to understand why many people would feel that photographers such as Nachtwey, Sebastiao Salgado, and Kadir Von Lohuizen have been questioned and criticized for the work that they do. It could seem that these people have literally made a solid career benefitting from the pain and suffering of others. There are always questions of ethics at hand when there is someone behind the lens and a subject in front of it. Pictures can easily seem aloof and calculating if the photographer isnt constatly aware of his or her placement within the situation and the way that their perspective influences it. As the months have passed and I have spent countless hours looking at the photographs of the people who have decided to make this their life's work the message seems to be the common thread between them all despite their different styles and personal voices. Each has made this their life. It is not an aspect of it, or something that they come and go from, as most would from their jobs everyday. This is something that they life moment to moment. They have all made serious sacrifice in order to show others the atrocities that so quickly become statistics or pages in history books. I think it becomes apparent when the photographer is not passionate about the subject matter, the photos have an emptiness and insincerity that throws itself in front of even the best composition. I have been told over and over that photojournalism requires one to be hungry at all times, to always have something happening and to always find the shot even if it doesnt present itself. The challenge for subject matter such as is dealt with in War Photographer and other similar projects, is that the hunger can alter the motives behind the work. Understanding those that you photograph is essential, becoming a part of their world is essential, understanding the lines that should not be crossed is essential, and holding on to your integrity (whatever that may be for each person) is essential. Already, I have been challenged by the road blocks that present themselves in difficult situations, but these road blocks are revealing themselves to be more of a test. If the desire to make the images is overcome by the doubt that accompanies frustrations, than better to leave them as snapshots within your mind. If you are willing to put the effort in to get the shot, then do it and do it well.
While my current project has not come to light the way id hoped, i am continuing to shoot. This time, focusing only on one subject, Curtis. In addition, I have started several other series in order to see what kinds of avenues I can travel in the meantime. There are countless pieces of Richmond that I have interest in and countless photos that would feel worthwhile to pursue. The past week has really served as a rejuvination in why I began with this project and why I need to force myself to shoot any and everything, just to see where it leads me.
Monday, November 26, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



No comments:
Post a Comment